How is urban planning improving the quality of life for the urban poor in Mumbai?
Urban planning can improve squatter settlements. Vision Mumbai is a plan to improve Dharavi. The project involves constructing high-quality, high-rise tower blocks to replace squatter settlement housing. Recent developments in Dharavi include:
- the construction of sewage treatment plants and water recycling
- the introduction of street lighting
- the aspects of buildings will make use of natural light and ventilation
- solar panels on the roof will generate electricity
- air source heat pumps will draw in natural heat in order to heat the tower
- good street lighting and communal areas
- wide tree-lined streets and pedestrianised areas
- CCTV to improve security
- sewage treatment plants and water recycling
Use the images below to explore related GeoTopics.