The tourist industry in MEDCs has grown significantly over the last 50 years. People are taking longer holidays, are travelling more frequently and travelling to destinations further away. There are a number of reasons for this. These include:
- increase in income
- the introduction of holiday pay
- developments in transport (e.g. people have more holiday time from work)
- cheap flights from budget airlines
- the growth of tourism has had a positive effect on income and development in many countries therefore tourism is actively encouraged
- changes in lifestyle and interests mean people are more interested in travelling to more exotic and unusual destinations.
Use the images below to explore related GeoTopics.
Take a look at our new resources in the shop