Create a mind map to summarise the areas above. We’ve got a guide to creating mind maps if you need support.
The Final Countdown is here to help you prepare for your final AQA GCSE geography exam. Following our weekly exercises will prepare you to take on the examiner.
This week you will revise rivers. It would help if you covered the following:
The shape of river valleys changes as rivers flow downstream:
- erosion – hydraulic action, abrasion, attrition, solution, vertical and lateral erosion
- transportation – traction, saltation, suspension and solution
- deposition – why rivers deposit sediment.
Distinctive fluvial landforms result from different physical processes:
- Characteristics and formation of landforms resulting from erosion – interlocking spurs, waterfalls and gorges.
- Characteristics and formation of landforms resulting from erosion and deposition – meanders and ox-bow lakes.
- Characteristics and formation of landforms resulting from deposition – levées, floodplains and estuaries.
- An example of a river valley in the UK to identify its major landforms of erosion and deposition.
Different management strategies can be used to protect river landscapes from the effects of flooding:
- How physical and human factors affect the flood risk – precipitation, geology, relief and land use.
- The use of hydrographs to show the relationship between precipitation and discharge.
- The costs and benefits of the following management strategies:
hard engineering – dams and reservoirs, straightening, embankments, flood relief channels
soft engineering – flood warnings and preparation, floodplain zoning, planting trees and river restoration.
- why the scheme was required
- the management strategy
- the social, economic and environmental issues.
Use one of the three strategies below to revise these areas.
Create flashcards to summarise the areas above. We’ve got a guide to creating flashcards if you need support.
Complete the revision quizzes covering weather hazards and climate change (you completed revision activities on this area last week!)
Explain how burning fossil fuels and deforestation may have contributed to global changes in temperature. [4 marks]
Suggest how extreme weather in the UK can have economic and social impacts. Use Figure 6 and your own understanding. [6 marks]
Managing climate involves both mitigation and adaptation. Do you agree? Explain your answer. Use Figure 7 and your understanding. [9 marks +3 SPG]
Assess the extent to which tropical storms have effects on people and the environment. Use Figure 8 and an example you have studied. [9 marks +3 SPG].