Create a series of sketchnotes to summarise the area above. Check out our guide to creating a sketchnote.
Week 13 Energy
The Final Countdown is here to help you prepare for your final AQA GCSE geography exam. Following our weekly exercises will prepare you to take on the examiner.
This week you will revise the optional unit for resource management. You will have studied either food, water or energy. This page focuses on energy. It would help if you covered the following:
Demand for energy resources is rising globally but supply can be insecure, which may lead to conflict.
Areas of surplus (security) and deficit (insecurity):
- global distribution of energy consumption and supply
- reasons for increasing energy consumption: economic development, rising population, technology
- factors affecting energy supply: physical factors, cost of exploitation and production, technology and political factors.
- impacts of energy insecurity – exploration of difficult and environmentally sensitive areas, economic and environmental costs, food production, industrial output, the potential for conflict where demand exceeds supply.
Different strategies can be used to increase energy supply.
Overview of strategies to increase energy supply:
- renewable (biomass, wind, hydro, tidal, geothermal, wave and solar) and non-renewable (fossil fuels and nuclear power) sources of energy
- an example to show how the extraction of a fossil fuel has both advantages and disadvantages.
- Moving towards a sustainable resource future:
- individual energy use and carbon footprints.
- Energy conservation: designing homes, workplaces and transport for sustainability, demand reduction, use of technology to increase efficiency in the use of fossil fuels
- an example of a local renewable energy scheme in an LIC or NEE to provide sustainable supplies of energy – Darbang, Nepal / Hitosa Ethiopia – a local water supply scheme in an LIC
Use one of the four strategies below to revise these areas.
Create a mind map to summarise the area above. We’ve got a guide to creating mind maps if you need support.
Create flashcards to summarise the area above. We’ve got a guide to creating flashcards if you need support.
Create a knowledge organiser to summarise the area above.. Check out our guide to creating a knowledge organiser.
Complete the revision quizzes covering resource management and the changing demand for resources in the UK.